- Blankets are going to the children! This shows the whole collection for Portsmouth.
For the last two years we have been making warm, comforting Little Hugs for Belarusian teenagers visiting the Leeds area for recuperative holidays during the summer with the fabulous charity the Chernobyl Children’s Project. [[http://beta.woollyhugs.com/index.php/current-projects/ Photos from previous projects are here…]] Each year these marvellous folk bring children over who live in the most contaminated area near the Chernobyl reactor. In summer, when the dust causes radiation levels to rise, it becomes even more important for as many children as possible to leave their contaminated homeland for a few weeks of fresh air and clean food. The rates of childhood cancer are at 75%; the most common cancers being thyroid and leukaemia. Coming to the UK for a four week break increases their immunity against the awful disease by up to 3 years when they return home.
This year the group in Leeds are again bringing older children/teens over who have had cancer and are now in remission. Sadly though there is a high chance of these children falling ill again. They all suffer living in such difficult conditions and with very little.
But we always want to do more, and we have been in contact with two further groups. These are based in Billericay and Portsmouth, and support slightly younger children, and run by the Chernobyl Children’s Lifeline. In essence they do the same wonderful work in bringing children over for respite from the shocking conditions.
How perfect it would be to make them each a Little Hug.
So that’s 36 blankets! [grin] [star] [star] [wine]
With your help we know we can do this
Please do join us, here’s how..
- We would like 12″ squares in bright and cheery Stylecraft Special DK colours.
- PLEASE AVOID bright green, bright pink, browns, greys, citron, sunshine, fiesta and jaffa. This will help squares fit together more easily.
- Make in a non-specific colour theme, or specifically for a boy or girl.
- We will be happy to accept 6″ squares if making a 12″ one feels too much.
- Crochet or knitted, 4mm hook or needles. No blocking and please sew in pesky ends.
- If needed, we can supply yarn. Let us know if we can send to you.
- If you are thinking about making a whole blanket, please contact us first, thank you. We will ask that whole blankets be suitably neutral or rainbow in colour to suit either boy or girl easily, so avoid pinks and think about designs. Still cheery colours though please!
- Blankets are to be 48 inches by 60 inches.
- We have started earlier than previously, as the first group (Portsmouth) arrive in May.
- Initial stage of crafting is over and kits are with the construction crew, photos as soon as we have..
No later please as we have to get on and sort at the end of that week. Thank you.
Supporting with funds
If anyone would like to donate funds to support this, we would be so grateful. Our paypal is firstname.lastname@example.org . Cheques and cash are very welcome too, just PM for the address. We are grateful for every single penny.
Can anyone help with extras?
There are a few extras which we will be collecting too alongside squares, items which really help, if you would like to add in any of these we would love to receive them for the children, thank you, bless you.
* Pants adult size 8-10, 10- 12 and 12-14. New only***
* Adult size socks (one size fits all) new
* Adult vitamins
* Good quality second hand clothing (inc pyjamas) age 10 – 13+
* Boys and Girls Underwear – Socks and Pants (10-13 yrs) New only***
* Sanitary Towels
* Dry, long lasting and lightweight food (tea, coffee, dried soup, noodles)
* If you would like to add 50p in when you post squares for ice creams that would be so kind, we will split any money we receive between the three groups. [star]
What a big ask! Good grief!
But the fabulous Woolly Hug crew never fail to amaze, last year was an astonishing team effort, we know that together we can do this.
On behalf of these children and their families, a huge THANK YOU.
Actually, thank you doesn’t really come close. xxx