We are delighted to be launching our Chernobyl Project 2018!
For the last four years we have been making warm, comforting Little Hugs for Belarusian teenagers and children visiting the UK for recuperative holidays during the summer with the fabulous charity the Chernobyl Children’s Project and Chernobyl Children’s Lifeline.
Each year these marvellous charities bring children who live in the most contaminated area near the Chernobyl reactor over to the UK. In summer, when the dust causes radiation levels to rise, it becomes even more important for as many children as possible to leave their contaminated homeland for a few weeks of fresh air and clean food. The rates of childhood cancer are incredibly high the most common cancers being thyroid and leukaemia. Coming to the UK for a four week break increases their immunity against the awful disease when they return home. Often these children are in remission. Sadly though there is a high chance of these children falling ill again. They all suffer living in such difficult conditions and with very little.
We have spoken to all the groups we sent to last year, some are still confirming their funding etc and not all host every year, but already confirmed are…
- Isle of Wight
- And we are chuffed to be introducing the Ayrshire group this year too!
There are other groups we can contact, but will just wait to hear from last year first. So this year we look like we are aiming for approx 115 blankets but this may change. It is a good place to start with!
The last posting date for squares and blankets made by individuals for our Chernobyl 2018 project will be Saturday 7th April, to the Teddington address, message if you need it!
No later please as we have to get on and sort very soon after. Thank you.
Please do join us, here’s how..
- Yarn is Stylecraft Special DK – ONLY this please, inc for any embellishments.
- Squares to be 12 inch ideally, or 6 inch if that is too much.
- Knit and crochet equally welcome. Beginner or more experienced crafters also equally welcomed.
- Please use a 4mm hook or needles. No blocking please, and please ensure you are knotting off very thoroughly when colour changing or finishing, leave a 6cm end and use a needle to sew it in.
- We are asking folk to avoid using a magic ring (crochet) to start as find that these don’t seem to always stand up to the pressures of wash and wear.
- Squares to be single colour, multi colour, textured, whatever you like, they will be wonderful, thank you.
- If you’d like to make a whole blanket, please use these colours too, makes thing easier at the giving stage! Whole blankets need to be 48 inches by 60 inches with some kind of border please.
- Supporting with funds
If anyone would like to donate funds to support this, we would be so grateful. Our paypal is email@example.com . Cheques and cash are very welcome too, just PM for the address. We are grateful for every single penny.
- Bright pink
- Candy floss
- Cloud blue
- Duck egg
- Fuchsia pink
- Grass green
- Kelly green
- Pale Rose
- Storm blue
Can anyone help with extras?
There are a few extras which we will be collecting too alongside squares, items which really help, if you would like to add in any of these we would love to receive them for the children, thank you, bless you. IF POSSIBLE PLEASE SEND THESE AFTER MARCH 10TH FOR STORAGE REASONS! xx
* Underwear aged 10 plus. New only*
* Adult size socks (one size fits all) new only
* Toothbrushes, single packed please
* Toiletries, toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo etc, but not bars of soap please.
* Sanitary Towels
* Plasters, first aid bits
* Vitamins, please check suitable for 10 years+
* Any little luxuries that pre/teens might love, eg nail varnish, lip balms, hair clips, make up bits, stickers etc.
* If you would like to add 50p in when you post squares for ice creams that would be so kind, we will split any money we receive between the groups.
Hugs for Heads
After the success of Fife last year, we thought how lovely it would be to send all children a cosy hat to take home with their blanket this year, so introduced Hugs for Heads, if you would like to knit or crochet a child’s hat size age 8 to adult (most are teens) in machine washable yarn, we would love to receive it for them. The pattern is up to you., we do have yarn available, please message us. Last posting the same as squares.
What a big ask! Good grief!
But the fabulous Woolly Hug crew never fail to amaze, last year was an astonishing team effort, we know that together we can do this.
On behalf of these children and their families, a huge THANK YOU.
Actually, thank you doesn’t really come close. xxx