One square, one blanket, a pair of gloves, one warm hat, one step at a time, really every little thing will help.
Together we can make a difference.
Last posting for the next collection is Saturday 30th September. Thank you.
As for so many others, we have been moved to tears by the heartbreaking plight of refugees, both in Europe and further afield, and the inhumanity which seems to surround them too often. We have donated, signed petitions on change.org and written to our MPs, and understand the feeling of shouting in the wind, we desperately want to do more.
There is something practical we can do together, and it really will help, but we are going to need your support.
We can get woolly warmth to families in refugee camps in Kurdistan and into Syria itself, to beleaguered families in Qara thanks to the amazing charity Knit for Peace. There are over a million refugees trapped there, most have fled civil wars and ISIS in Syria and Iraq. Conditions are very bleak and it will be even more desperate and absolutely freezing during long winter months. We are also developing links to get resources to children and families elsewhere, and on their arrival in the UK. We just want to help keep folk warm. We know we can’t help everyone, but we can some.
We really need your help, here’s how…
- We need 12 inch, or six inch squares. Knit or crochet both equally welcome.Yarn to be used for squares – any good quality acrylic DK, for example
Stylecraft special DK. Please avoid white and very pale colours, then other than that, any colour, any style, it is all good. Squares equally welcome if made by beginner or expert. Truly.
- We’d love to receive whole blankets, but absolutely understand time constraints. Ideal size is approx 48 by 60 inches.
- We’d also love to receive hats and gloves/mittens for any age, baby sized through to adult, the same for jumpers, cardigans, scarves/shawls. But appreciate that is a very big ask. For these items, any yarn is fine, from 100% wool to acrylic.
- If you’d like to donate yarn or funds, let us know – we’d absolutely LOVE to hear from you, we need
you too. This will be a real team effort
- If anyone would like to join in crafting but can’t afford to, please PM us, we can help
Easy Hat/Mitten patterns as recommended by our crafters
Crochet – Little Maiden Bonnet
Crochet – V-St beanie for all
Crochet – Ten easy hat patterns
Knit – mittens
NB. Sadly we cannot accept items other than home made woolly ones at the moment, if this changes we will come back. Do join us on our Facebook page Woolly Hugs and Twitter @Woolly_Hugs – both good ways to keep in touch.
Thank you doesn’t come close, bless you.x